Unblocking the drains – You start with pouring boiling water into the plughole. If this does not work, you will have to resort to chemicals such as the caustic soda. You can however avoid drain blockages by regular use of drain cleaners.
Handling the water supply – These are times you need to switch the hot and cold supply of water on and off. You need to be aware of the physical location of the stop valve and the cistern for handling the supply of hot and cold water.
Maintain the appliances – Appliances such as the water heating system, air conditioning system and the electrical systems require high repair costs. You are better off to ensure appliances requiring high repair costs are well covered under an insurance plan. Always better to insist on regular servicing of high value appliances which would prevent periodic break down.
Maintaining the landscape – landscaping is best enjoyed when you manage it well. It comes only with experience and starts with a simple guide on how to landscape yourself.
Maintenance of the swimming pool – Learn those few very simple steps to regularly clean your swimming pool. How you clean the pool depends upon the type of water to use for your pool
Inlets for fresh air – Make sure you have days when the French windows are fully open to help circulation of air inside the house. This is best done when you have a long and relaxing day in your house. Just get up and vacuum clean the house. It is a fantastic feeling and a good stress free exercise to periodically attend to the cleanliness of the house.
All it takes for homeowners to paint their own house is to spend longer time to complete the job, not to mention the risks of a horrible outcome. Homeowners can prevent these risks by asking assistance from an expert. Paint store can also be the best source of useful house painting ideas. Read on for additional house painting tips.
First thing, homeowners need to do before painting their own house, is to decide which part they will paint first. Choosing the right paint color must come next. Homeowners need to know that selecting the proper color is indeed crucial when it comes to painting; since color needs to complement with other home furnishings and fabrics inside or outside the house.
The next thing homeowners need to do is to prepare all painting supplies and tools. Double-checking of the supplies, tools, and equipment is necessary to avoid delay. Next step is to remove all furnishings from the painting area to prevent paint smears. Surfaces must be clear from dust and other obstructions to ensure a glossy and smooth painting result. To achieve this, power cleaning is necessary.
When all of the surfaces are clear, homeowners must place drop cloths on the danger zone as well as furniture, which are too heavy to move. Placing masking tapes on the trimmings is also essential. This will help protect the trimmings such as window trimmings, doorknobs, electrical switches, junction boxes, and other lighting fixtures.
It is not enough to place masking tapes on the trimmings. Homeowners need to place adequate amount of masking tapes to ensure there is no paint bleed marks left after painting. In placing the tape, it is essential to cover the entire danger zone where paint has the possibility to bleed.
If you are new to home ownership, then determining what type of checking on the home exterior needs to be done can be stressful. So, to help out, here are the place you need to be paying special attention to:
- Gutters – The gutters of your home control the amount of rainwater reaches your home’s exterior and protect your roofing as well as your home’s siding. Be sure they are attached correctly and are not sagging anywhere. It is also important to clean them periodically so that there is no build up of debris.
- Paint – Take time to note if you need to touch up an area or call in a professional painting crew. The status of the paint job/siding will be one of the first thing people notice.
- Siding – If you have vinyl siding, or one of its sister products, then you will want to clean it off periodically using a pressure sprayer.
- Windows – Be sure these are not just clean, but open and close as they are designed to do.
- Patio or deck – e sure that the boards are sound, and that any debris is swept off of them. Not only does this look better, but you can prevent any damage caused by critters/pests. Be especially vigilant against areas around windows and doors – were wood rot can occur. If you notice damage near these locations, be sure to get someone to check it out and determine the action to be taken.
- Roofing/Shingles – Walk around your home and note any areas where shingles may have pulled away or are loose/missing. If you see any, repair them before they fall away and leave your home exposed to the elements of nature.
The last time you made a thorough inspection of your house was probably before you bought it more than 20 year s ago. In doing house maintenance, you need to make another thorough inspection of the entire structure.
A complete inspection of the entire house should be done on a regular basis. Employing an expert building inspector can help you identify potential problems before they result in costly repairs. This practice can help lower your maintenance cost where simple repairs are needed rather than more serious and extensive maintenance work.
Another helpful idea aside from a regular inspection is keeping a log which would indicate all the maintenance jobs done in your house beginning from the time when you moved in. By logging these repairs, you will be able to monitor the maintenance details including the condition of the repairs as well as the costs.
Setting aside a separate account for house maintenance purposes is another brilliant idea as you will always need to have something repaired in your house. By keeping a maintenance fund, it will save you a lot of trouble in case repairs become absolutely necessary.
A round of preventive maintenance can prove to be highly beneficial where problems are identified and corrected while at an early stage which could mean great savings for you in the long run. This is closely comparable to treating an illness.
Keeping a well-maintained home is not convenient but its rewards are beyond financial issues. To live comfortably in a home that you own is something that many people can only dream about.